Monday, November 2, 2009

Linguisticisms 1

  • THE WALMART Walmart is a store you go to. The Walmart is not. You do not go to The Walmart. However, you may go to the Walmart on the south side of town. See also The Target, The McDonalds.


  • SUBWAY Subway is a sandwich shop. Subway is not a sandwich. You do not pick up a Subway on your way home. Unless you're really strong. However, you may pick up a sub at Subway and ride the subway home.


  • THEMS That and there shall never be replaced with the non-existent words dat and dere, respectively. You might as well be wearing (only) bib overalls and strumming your lips with your pointer finger. See also NASCAR Announcers.


  • LOOK Never start a sentence with the word Look. You're talking. I'm already looking at you. You need not demand that I somehow increase my level of listening participation, unless of course you're also demanding complete disdain.


  • BADLY Avoid altogether the use of the word badly. You most likely will not use it correctly, and it will reflect badly on you, make others feel badly and sound really badly.

2 comments:

Sleger Family said...

You had me at "THEMS". Ah, Can't stop laughing!

Scott said...

Look, I'll 'The' anything I please.